Public Session Outcomes
Hosted by Posey County Harvestime Temple
Date: June 15, 2020
Carry Forward & Leave Behind
Group 1 Visions
- natural, free parks withforests, streams, trails, wildlife; parks are clean, promote recycling; healthy activities
- revitalization of main street: gardens, shops, stores, homes, apartments, activies with animals, people working together, Restore great buildings
- no negativity, come together as a community, fun and people who live in the middle of it.
- animals are protected, animals have rights
- revitalization of downtown, connect/bring the tourism into Mt Vernon from New Harmony,
- connect Mt Vernon and New Harmony trails, bike trail from state park into New harmony,
- guy with a jetpack – reminiscent of Tim Wilson’s Jet Pack
- pollution filter on river using new technology
- adoption of novel technologies for a better future
Group 2 Visions
- river boats going to various counties
- free produce stand that also accepts donations
- adequate food for everyone, acccess to food and necessary resources
- riverfront improvement–economoic opportunities on the river (restaurants & shops)
- opportunities for children, increased literacy
- bridge between education & industry to give people opportunities–everyone is responsible for the envrionement & beautification; pride in the indusry & what it looks like; students & workers have something to eat–access to food
Group 3 Visions
- increased rereational actikvities, workout classes, pickleball, kayaking
- diverse community leadershiop
- business proffesional–HS student mentorship
- makerspaces in schools–library
- filled retail spaces, increased housing options
- diversity & leadership & entrepeneurial educationin schools
- night life for young people
- activism literacy events
- neighborhood walmart (to attract movers)
- multigenerational activities
- opportunities for low income students
- youth involvement in community organizations
- highlight and focus on Mt Vernon being part of the Amerian Discovery Trail Bike Trail
- A bus system that is used by people of all economic backgrounds that reaches all counties. With covered spots
- Affordable grocery store and in urban areas and small-town areas.
- More multi-use buildings with grocery store and restaurants and apartments.
- Communication about region-wide events across the regions to ensure everyone can participate.
- Recycling facilities available in public spaces.
- Build out the Mt. Vernon area towards the East.
- Need more mom-and-pop restaurants that are affordable.
- Local grocery store that is affordable, more local pharmacies, and businesses so they have choices in Mt. Vernon and don’t have to always leave the community to get the basics.
- Local newspaper and/or magazine.
- Walking bike trail