Training Session Outcomes
Hosted by Leadership Everyone
County: Vanderburgh, IN
Date: October 14, 2019
Carry Forward & Leave Behind
Group 1 Visions
- utopia–everyone has food, affordable healthcare, quality education, housing; everyone gets along and works together, and we all have tolerance & respect for one another (education to encourage this); everyone helps and looks out for each other & “everyone is the village”
- thriving business community including existing organizations and startups with a supportive venture capital company, 5 local economic development organizations, small business development centers, regional economic development organization, IEDC–all supporting innovation & entrepreneurship
- rural & urban communities work together (not “us” vs “them”)–there is value in both; these communities are kind to one another regardless of who’s in them
- community involvement in supporting arts
- filling in the ditches in the roads & replace with sidewalks (to allow for biking & walking)
- community where religious faiths work together to help & love each other (“love” = willing the good of another and taking action to help them)
- education starting really young–let’s teach love and coexisting young;(negative emotions & behaviors (ignorance, hate, intolerance) are learned early)
- coexist movement is important–faith/orientation shouldn’t hold sway over being a unified body
- seeing change & revitalization that’s happening in Haynie’s Corner–this mentality everywhere in town
- no more homeless individuals
- have regional farmers market and turn them into education centers; sustainable living; reduces waste–share with neighbors; picnic tables, sharing information, collaborating with community; education aspect–get children & seniors involved; leverage technology to see what worked well & what didn’t
- one of our strengths is agriculture and there is a lot of farmland to use–how about more agri-tourism? famers could provide educational, physical/mental therapy (outdoors has healing properties); off-leash dog parks, rescue animals barns (farms have the space); youth and young people without the spaces learn to work outdoors and gain skills; multi-use farms; farms are collaborating!
Group 2 Visions
- Intergenerational living
- Green Space
- Connectedness between communities
- Housing, unique, available
- Using city landscape to create gardens to beautify, help climate. Rooftop gardens.
- Parks. Good sidewalks. Being able to get around without a car.
- Greenspaces that people are safe using.
- Safe places for children.
- More supportive services and adults around them need support in being better caregivers.
- Thriving neighborhoods.
- Airport expansion so we have more flights to the east coast.
- University Parkway expansion needs to close the gap between Posey and Vanderburgh counties.
- People out and about walking, riding bikes.
- Businesses, Apartments
- Riverfront park – events – connecting in parks and to other parts of town.
- Roberts Park – nice big public park – with a lake and bridge, swingset, fishing, rowboats to rent, dog park.
- Sidewalks everywhere!!!